Wednesday 12 March 2008

I need someone to do nothing with!

I found a website today that is advertising a CD of traditional nursery rhyme tunes with Christan words so that teaching children about Jesus is made much easier! In fairness it looks rather twee, but on the blog type bit of the website I did find this poem by Hazel Butler that sums up some of my thinking these days


I need someone to do nothing with!
To sit and just to be.
Someone who’ll accept me,
The simple, no-frills, me.
Someone who spots the difference
‘Tween grunts, a gasp, a moan;
Who knows when they should comment
And when to leave alone.

I need someone to pass the T-towel,
To turn the last light off;
Someone I hear breathing
Or give the slightest cough.
Someone who loves the silence
That sits between us both –
A mark of understanding,
Acceptance of our sloth!

I need someone who’s not frenetic
Or striving to achieve,
Not madly energetic
From morning until eve.
Someone who’ll smell the roses,
Light a candle, spot a shrew,
And boil two cobs for dinner –
‘Enough for me and you!’

I need someone to do nothing with,
Communicating love,
Accepting of the silence,
That frees my mind to rove ;
Exploring scraps of nonsense,
Inconsequential thought,
The dust that’s on the table
Or stuff that I have bought.

I need someone who knows the meaning
Of every breath exhaled ;
A groan that marks frustration
With plans that somehow failed.
A sigh of satisfaction,
Or a funny little thought,
A gasp ‘cos I’ve forgotten
To do something that I ought!

I need someone, when the day is done,
And crowd has been dispersed,
The celebration’s over,
And I’m looking at my worst,
Someone to do nothing with,
To unwind and relax;
To chew the details over
Of the feelings and the facts.

When I kick the slippers off my feet
And sink into the chair,
Someone to do nothing with
Is what I need right there!

No comments: